Friday, June 18, 2010

Why I'm Here

The Wicked Witch of the "West" (yours truly) on the ole' bicycle


One thing that I've failed to mention . . . really, the most important thing is What I'm actually doing out here in Japan in the first place. Why, teaching English of course! Teaching English is something that a lot of young Americans do when they want to put "the real world" on hold and experience life in another country. The only thing that "us" young Americans fail to realize is that "the real world" doesn't just stop because you're in another country, teaching English. If anything, there is nothing "real-er" than educating other human beings. And there is also nothing real-er than being in another country - specifically Japan.

I'll just get straight to the point. My days here are long. LOOOOONNNNNGGGGG!!!! I start at 12pm and it doesn't let up until 9pm. I wake up and go from laying in bed staring at the ceiling-wondering where the heck I am- to hopping onto my bicycle and riding like the wind as the Wicked Witch of the West theme loops itself over and over in my head. At the most, I'll have 7 classes in a day, with students ranging in age from 1 years old to 69 years old. Some students are sweet and nice, while others are cynical and rude. Some students are full of energy while others barely breathe. Some students scream at the top of their lungs while others don't speak at all. And it's safe to say that I go through more ranges of emotions within a 9 hour period than most people go through in a lifetime.

Some classes are like this . . .


and other classes are like . . .


So after my last class is over, I do everything that I have to do in order to get out of the building as soon as possible and try to salvage what's left of my day (blogging, chatting on Skype, watching American television on the internet and cooking dinner - because I'm not smart enough to prepare it in advance.) After about 2 hours of this, I go to bed and repeat the cycle. The only good thing about this "circle of torture" schedule that I have going on is that it allows me to talk to my friends and family at a decent time and it makes the work-week just fly by. Mainly because it all feels like one very long day. I couldn't tell you any details about what takes place in my work-week, but I can tell you every single thing that happens in a weekend. Everything else is a blur of singing, dancing, confusion, broken English and sign language. Oh, and packing tape. Lots and lots of packing tape.

So that's pretty much it. Any questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment