Monday, June 7, 2010

Hello!

Hello!

I am the aforementioned Mad, Black, Geisha (MBG)! Actually, I'm not mad in the angry sense (maybe mad as in crazy) and I'm certainly not a Geisha, but I am a woman of color, living in Japan - Kurashiki, to be exact - and I wanted to share my experinces with all of you.

First of all . . . there's not a lot of Black folks or "Gaijin" (which is the Japanese word for "alien" or "non Japanese") in Kurashiki. Just for fun, I'll ask you to go to your refrigerator and grab something to drink . . . anything.

Got it? . . . Good! Now pour the beverage into a cup and take a sip, but don't swallow! And while you're at it, click this link


. . . and scroll down a little . . . a little bit more. Okay, stop! Did you see the very angry looking, orange-clad "single" gentleman? You did? Good! Now if you haven't already spit all of the liquid out of your mouth, I'd like you to read the first couple words of this guy's description . . . Okay, now you can wipe off your computer screen. My point is, if that's the first picture that is showcased on this website to advertise the variety of single, Black individuals in my part of Japan then you're in trouble if you're looking for Black love out here, LOL.

Either way, I'm not out here to "look for my Black soulmate" or to "look for other Gaijin/American folks." I'm out here to expand my horizons and enjoy a year in another country. Something I've never thought that I'd ever do.

So far, I've made a bunch of friends and been able to meet some amazing and interesting people. On top of all of this, I've been documenting everything with pictures and have high hopes of sharing them with all of you every week. So stay tuned, there is more to come!

1 comment: