Sunday, September 19, 2010

Gaijin

Gaijin (外人?, [ɡuy-jean]) is a Japanese word meaning "non-Japanese", or "alien".[1] The word is composed of two kanji: gai (?), meaning "outside"; and jin (?), meaning "person". Thus, the word literally means "outside person". The word can refer to nationality, race, or ethnicity.

If you are visiting Japan from another country, you can expect to hear this word. As noted in the above definition, it pretty-much means "outsider."

One thing that someone told me weeks before I boarded an airplane to go to Japan was that I will never fit in. They said you could learn the language, land a good job and even move up the corporate ladder but you can only get so far as a gaijin. "You will always be an outsider."

Now when this person "cracked that egg of knowledge on my head" (so to speak), I was not disappointed or offended. If anything, I thought it was fascinating (in my Spock voice). While I've always been interested in Japanese culture, my intention was never to become "Japanese" and I wouldn't think any less of myself if someone thought of me as an "outsider." For lack of a better term, I am an outsider.

But I guess this is a concept that can be a little hard for some folk (particularly Americans) to swallow. And when you look at a lot of our movies, it's easy to see why. As a TV/Film major, I have been forced to analyze the American mindset through the lens of a video camera and in so doing, I see that there is still a need to conquer be accepted into every country's culture. Not only to be accepted, but to be given the keys and permission to cross every boundary, gain access to their innermost circles, find out every secret and to be given a "pet name," which inevitably leads to becoming their leader and showing the culture how things should be done. Maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but do any of these titles sound like something that I've just mentioned . . .

Dances With Wolves
The Last Samurai
Last of the Mohicans
A Man Called Horse
Avatar (a.k.a. Pocahantas)

I'm sure there are more that I can't think of right now. But you get my drift.

I guess that's why I can appreciate Japan's approach to "gaijin." Sometimes I wonder if other cultures like say, the Native Americans or Africans had taken that approach, maybe their countries would not have been dominated and taken over by "outsiders." But then again, it wasn't that simple. Either way, given history's many tragic examples, I can't blame the Japanese for putting a limit on how much a foreigner can do.

However, as with every country's mindset in this world, I do think that there are a few flaws with the logic. First of all, if someone does not look Japanese, that doesn't mean they aren't. In other words, there are people who were born and raised in Japan that are of mixed race. It's not uncommon for these people (mostly school age children) to be told to "go home" to their country. It is unfortunate and really unfair for these people to be denied the same acceptance as their fellow citizens just because they don't look the part. Also, the whole "outsiders" and "them/us" mentality not only works to shut others out, but it also keeps a lot of Japanese people closed in. This mindset has (in my opinion) stunted the cultural maturity of these people. On a daily basis I watch grown men and women staring at me with the same wonderment that I've seen my 2 year old niece stare at people of a different skin color. And honestly, I think it's a little sad.

But those are just my thoughts. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I think that the Japanese are a very special breed. I'm sure their history plays a lot into it - believing they're more superior than other Asians, closing their country's borders (except from the Dutch apparently, according to my boyfriend who was a gaijin in Japan for 6 years).

    I would want to say it's some sort of island mentality - but that's not true. Being from the Philippines, I know that's not true :) Filipinos are generally more awesome anyway...not that I'm biased or anything ;)

    I also have some comments about wanting to "fit in" to the Japanese culture...but I want to read your most recent post first :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh! You're going to get me into trouble over here!!! LOL

    Ok, first off I'll say that (in my experiences) Filipino people (and Koreans) are the most laid back/down to earth Asians that I've ever met.

    Second off, my most favorite people to associate with here are the Japanese people from my local congregation because they are extremely honest and humble about Japan and they don't buy into the patriotic/nationalistic spirit that seems to permeate everyone's thoughts. They have told me the good, the bad and the ugly and continually give me the tools to operate in this confusing country. They have been my life support and they are the only ones that don't treat me like a "gaijin." When I first met them and thanked them for their kindness, they brushed it off and told me that I was "family". And let me tell you after being in this country for only a couple weeks and feeling like I wanted to just pack up and go home, that one comment had me crying like a baby (and it gave me the strength to stay). And they weren't playing when they called me "family." I have a bunch of aunts, uncles, sisters and brothers here and I love them all as if they were my own flesh and blood. (So there are some exceptions to the rule-and I will try to post about them soon).

    However, outside of those beautiful, wonderful folks (and maybe one or two people) . . . I have not had the pleasure of feeling like I can truly be "at ease" with the Japanese population.

    ReplyDelete